Calling All Volunteers
The Environmental Discovery Center (EDC) relies on the help of dedicated volunteers* for many aspects of the center's operations, including animal husbandry, trail maintenance, landscaping, assistance at special events, and interaction with our many visitors.
The EDC has many exciting and rewarding volunteer positions. As a volunteer, you will have the unique opportunity to be a part of our ever-expanding and dynamic environmental educational facility. Volunteers will also receive an invitation to our annual volunteer appreciation banquet as well as an EDC t-shirt (after completing 20 hours of service), and an engraved leaf on the Benefactor Tree at the EDC (after completing 40 hours of volunteer service).
*Must be at least 16 years of age (with a parent/legal guardian's permission) to volunteer.
Volunteer Job Descriptions:
- Docent - Assist with providing educational programs to visitors
- Landscaping - Assist in maintaining native plant gardens and landscape plantings
- Roving Naturalist - Roams the EDC and answers questions about the animals, exhibits and Lynches River County Park
- Special Events - Assist with events such as Earth Day celebrations, River Jamboree, First Saturday events, and many more
- Exhibits - Assist with exhibit design and construction
- Animal Husbandry - Assist with the maintenance of habitats, food preparation and care for the EDC animals
If you enjoy the outdoors and sharing your love of nature with others, then you will definitely enjoy volunteering at the Environmental Discovery Center! Come and volunteer - there's room for everyone! Learn about nature, gain experience, and build your resume. Come once a month or once a week — the sky's the limit!
To find out more about volunteering at the EDC, simply stop by or call us at (843) 389-0550 or download a volunteer application and return to firstname.lastname@example.org. We look forward to meeting you and appreciate your interest in helping us to provide environmental education and promote stewardship to the residents and visitors of Florence County.